Portions of Rend Trail closed for Bridge Repairs
Portions of the Rend Trail, formerly known as the Thurmond Minden Trail, will be closed effective immediately due to safety concerns. More »
River Detours and Closures at the Thomas Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge
The WV Department of Highways and the Federal Highways Administration is replacing the Thomas Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge on Route 41 in the town of Prince. Construction will require temporary full river traffic closures and long term river detours. More »
Plan A Field Trip
All educational groups are welcome to visit New River Gorge National River either as a self-guided trip or as part of the park's on-site, ranger-led educational programs. All programs are free of charge to schools and teachers. The park's education staff offers a wide variety of educational programs and activities at these areas within the park:
Reserving a Program:
On-site, ranger-led education programs are available by reservation only and are based on staff availability.
Follow this link, On-site (In-Park) Education Programs, for a list of available on-site ranger-led programs. A contact number and email address is provided with the program list.
For educational effectiveness, safety and resource protection, we will only work with one class-size group (up to 30 students) at a time. Therefore, if you are bringing more than one class, please be prepared to conduct activities with the other class(es) while one class is with a ranger.
1. You call as soon as possible if you must cancel your ranger-led program
2. You have one teacher or chaperone for every 10 students and be responsible for maintaining group discipline
3. Participants wear good walking or tennis shoes; NOT flip flops or sandals
4. Participants wear clothing appropriate for daily weather conditions
5. You bring along any student medications and be prepared to administer them
6. Participants bring meals or food if planning to dine at the park, as there are no vendors or vending machines in the park
Did You Know?
Whitewater rafting is one of the most popular recreational activities at New River Gorge National River. The rapids range from Class III to Class V. There are a number of commercial outfitters that offer trips to the public. More...