Cunard Road construction completed
Construction on the Cunard Road has been completed and the road is now open. Access may be delayed at times while striping is being painted.
Rend Trail closure
Repairs to the stone retention wall will cause closures from June through September, 2013. More »
Rangers in Training
Application: Get an application to sign up for this year's Rangers in Training program.
The Rangers in Training program is offered by New River Gorge National River. The program is designed to engage underserved youth, ages 14-17, living in communities surrounding the park to get out in nature and participate in a series of outstanding outdoor adventures. Youth will participate in safe, supervised, fun and exciting educational adventures that will enhance their appreciation of New River Gorge National River, teach a lifelong love of the outdoors, and allow them to explore career fields with the National Park Service. The program is FREE for all participants.
1. Participate in a series of adventure day-trips during the summer, such as rock climbing, whitewater rafting, hiking, swimming, archery and fishing to learn about and explore New River Gorge National River.
2. Connect with the outdoors through the adventure activities with the goal of inspiring a lifelong appreciation of nature and the outdoors.
3. Interact with park staff during the summer adventures and career shadowing opportunities to get to know the park staff and learn about their careers with the National Park Service.
A Few Things You Should Know Before Applying...
• The Rangers in Training program is offered at no cost.
• Filling out an application is free and there is no obligation to you.
• Teens selected to participate are expected to attend all four day-trips (barring emergencies). As an incentive, teens that attend all four adventures will be able to sign up for a fifth adventure trip.
• Students will need to have transportation to and from a local school, picking up at 8:00 am and dropping off around 6:00 pm.
• If selected, teens will be required to fill out an emergency contact form and provide signed safety release form(s) before attending the day-trips.
• Teens will be notified by early May if selected to participate in the Rangers in Training program.
Rangers in Training Photo Gallery: Check out photos from the Rangers in Training program
Did You Know?
Whitewater rafting is one of the most popular recreational activities at New River Gorge National River. The rapids range from Class III to Class V. There are a number of commercial outfitters that offer trips to the public. More...