Credit: NPS, 2009
Fort Vancouver. The original jail was built between 1841 and 1844; this reconstruction dates to 2001. The gable roof has wood shingles and exposed rafters. Instead of windows, there are two square openings that serve as vents. The wood door has a small, barred opening for a vent or a viewing portal.
This is part of the reconstruction within and including the stockade walls that helps park visitors to understand the extent of development by the Hudson's Bay Company, while also reestablishing the patterns of development within the landscape.
Download 203 KB