Meticulous landscaping is a hallmark of classically designed parkways. More than 17,000 trees and shrubs were planted between Yorktown and Williamsburg, including pines, cedars, dogwoods, redbuds, tulip and beech trees.
The route for the Colonial Parkway is cut through the woods from Williamsburg west towards Jamestown. The Golden Horseshoe golf course is visible to the left, and the Halfway Creek "bridge to nowhere" can be seen at the very top of the photo.
One of the two "Great Oaks" that stood along the Colonial Parkway, just west of the Newport Avenue access. Though the last was toppled by Hurricane Ernesto in 2006, a sign marks their location at one fo the parkway turnouts. Individual standing left of center provides size perspective.
Construction of the bridge across Halfway Creek. Finished in 1942 this bridge, along with the Colonial Parkway tunnel, was one of the few federal highway construction projects completed during World War II.
After the poured concrete was allowed to initially set, crews brushed the surface with wire brooms to expose the stones. Seventy two hours later, it was washed with a hydrochloric acid solution to remove the concrete, creating the exposed aggregate surface.