Photograph of the Old House with Portico, C. 1880. The portico was added by Charles Francis Adams in 1852. The portico was removed by Brooks Adams in 1920. August 8, 1852 Abigail Brooks Adams (Mrs. CFA) wrote to her husband: "Today is brilliant but barely warm & the country lovely. Our lawn by the new Portico has not been so green this summer. This rain coming so soon after the other & no sun between has done wonders. The mushrooms are so thick by the house that the ground by the back fence is white..." June 28, 1875 Charles Francis wrote in his diary: "..."Dr. Holmes read his poem. A tent had been put up and light chairs procured, so arranged from the eastern portico, that he could esily be heard by all. About two hundred and fifty persons in all..."