Credit: NPS, 2009
Fort Vancouver. The full extent of the stockade was constructed prior to 1845, and it was reconstructed between 1966 and 1973. Its construction incorporates the use of ten to thirteen-inch diameter posts (called "king posts") set into the ground. Cross pieces are connected to the king posts to help hold them in place. The tops of the pickets are round, pointed tips along the north wall, and the rest of the walls have beveled tops slanting towards the interior of the fort.
The bastion is located in the northwest corner of the stockade. It is three stories with an octagonal roof, with the third story containing a gun port on each side.
Download 191 KB