The house and farmland which President Van Buren called Lindenwald were originally built and owned by Columbia County Judge Peter Van Ness. He bought 260 acres of land between the post road and Kinderhook Creek in the 1780's and built a large house there in 1797. Van Ness named his house and farm Kleinrood which is Dutch for "little red." This is a survey map of the property drawn in 1805 for Peter Van Ness's sons, William and John, following their father's death in 1804.
Download 1.1 MB