Sandy Hook Proving Ground
From 1874 to 1919, the U.S. Army tested new and experimental weapons at Sandy Hook Proving Ground. The proving ground predated Fort Hancock by more than 20 years, then coexisted with the fort for more than two decades. In 1919 the Army moved this function to Aberdeen, Maryland.
Interior view of dining room of Officers' Quarters, c 1910.
Download 230 KB
Fort Hancock made the Officers' Quarters into the Officers' Club. In the 1930s a fire started and members of the 52nd Coast Artillery responded.
Download 208 KB
Barracks 102 constructed in 1909 for the Sandy Hook Proving Ground soldiers. Photograph was taken in the 1930s when the building served as the Fort Hancock School.
Download 356 KB
NCO Quarters 108 was constructed in 1905. Photo was taken for the Fort Hancock Post Record Book, c. 1940.
Download 390 KB
NCO Quarters 104 was constructed in 1894. Photo from Post Record Book, c. 1940.
Download 336 KB
Civilian Employees pose in front of Building 130.
Download 380 KB
Civilian employees at storehouses in the Sandy Hook Proving Ground area.
Download 630 KB
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Chapel was built by the Sandy Hook Proving Ground and continued to serve the Catholic soldiers and families through the 1950s.
Download 191 KB
Sandy Hook Proving Ground Chemical Laboratory, constructed in 1904. Image from Fort Hancock Record Book, 1940. The building was later used as the Fort Hancock School.
Download 520 KB
Sandy Hook Proving Ground storehouse with civilian employees posing.
Download 1.0 MB
Building 132, constructed by Sandy Hook Proving Ground in 1907 served as a Paint Shop.
Download 421 KB