Ruins of Mannsfield. This two-story stone house was built in 1766. During the Civil War it was owned by Arthur Bernard. It was a prominent landmark just behind the Union lines at the south end of the Fredericksburg battlefield. Confederate soldiers burned the interior on April 4, 1863. The exterior was largely intact, as shown in this photo, as late as 1891. Much of the stone was subsequently used in building construction.