Kate and Sue McBeth
Nez Perce National Historical Park Historic Image Collection NEPE-HI-0028
Nez Perce National Historical Park Historic Image Collection NEPE-HI-232
Sue arrived in Lapwai in 1873 as a teacher and her sister followed in 1879. Sue and Kate McBeth built on Spalding's work and continued to strengthen the Presbyterian Church, vigorously enforcing church doctrine and stamping out traditional practices. Sue died in 1893 and Kate continued working until her death in 1915. The house they lived and worked out of is still standing in Kamiah but currently is not open to the public.