Photographs of Cedar Hill in the 1960s and 1970s when the National Park Service acquired the site and operated it as the "Frederick Douglass Home." It was designated the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site in 1988.
The "Frederick Douglass Home" became a unit of the National Park Service on September 5, 1962. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, the NPS did major restoration work on the historic house. This photograph shows the opening ceremony on February 14, 1972.
The "Frederick Douglass Home" in 1968. A "No Trespassing" sign covers the entrance to the historic house. The flagpole in the foreground was dedicated on the grounds in 1922 by students from DC's black public schools.