FR Doc E7-11985
[Federal Register: June 21, 2007 (Volume 72, Number 119)]
[Notices]
[Page 34275-34276]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr21jn07-60]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service

Notice of Inventory Completion: Anthropological Studies Center,
Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State University, Rohnert
Park, CA

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.
ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the
completion of an inventory of human remains and associated funerary
objects in the possession of the Anthropological Studies Center,
Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State University, Rohnert
Park, CA. The human remains and associated funerary objects were
recovered from Marin and Sonoma Counties, CA.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3).
The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native
American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National
Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice.
    A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by the
Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State University staff in
consultation with representatives of the Dry Creek Rancheria of Pomo
Indians of California; Elem Indian Colony of Pomo Indians of the
Sulphur Bank Rancheria, California; Federated Indians of Graton
Rancheria, California; Kashia Band of Pomo Indians of the Stewarts
Point Rancheria, California; Middletown Rancheria of Pomo Indians of
California; and Tuolumne Band of Me-Wuk Indians of the Tuolumne
Rancheria of California.
    Prior to the enactment of NAGPRA, a repatriation agreement was
negotiated by the Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State
University with three individuals of Coast Miwok and Southern Pomo
ancestry who were identified by the State of California Native American
Heritage Commission to be Most Likely Descendants under California
state law. Further to this agreement, human remains from CA-MRN-27, CA-
MRN-254, CA-SON-159, CA-SON-293, CA-SON-455, and CA-SON-456 were
repatriated to officials of Ya Ka Ama Indian Education and Development,
Inc., a non-federally recognized Indian group from Forestville, CA, who
reburied the human remains in 1992. In 1997, during NAGPRA inventory,
additional human remains were discovered in the museum collection for
sites CA-SON-293, CA-SON-455, CA-SON-456, CA-MRN-254, and CA-SON-159.
In 1997 and 2006, human remains for site CA-MRN-27 that were on loan to
various museums were returned to the Archaeological Collections
Facility, Sonoma State University.
    In 1962, human remains representing a minimum of two individuals
were removed from site CA-SON-293, Bodega Head, Sonoma County, CA,
during excavations conducted by Western Heritage Incorporated and Dr.
David A. Fredrickson. The human remains were accessioned into the
collections of the Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State
University in 1968 (accession 68-01). At that time, the field
notes recorded only one individual, which was reburied in 1992. In
1997, additional human remains not associated with that individual were
identified in the collection during a NAGPRA inventory. No known
individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are
present.
    Artifacts recovered during the excavation of CA-SON-293 indicate
that the site likely dates to Upper Emergent and Historic periods (A.D.
1500-A.D. 1900) and that the human remains are Native American.
    In 1967, human remains representing a minimum of 164 individuals
were removed from the Reedland Woods site (CA-MRN-27), Tiburon, Marin
County, CA, during an excavation under the direction of Dr. Fredrickson
(accession 67-01). A number of the human remains and
associated funerary objects from this site were previously on loan to
San Francisco State University and Novato Museum of Prehistory. In
1997, the human remains from Novato Museum of Prehistory were
transferred to Tiberon Landmark Society and subsequently returned to
the Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State University. In
2006, human remains and associated funerary objects were returned to
the Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State University by San
Francisco State University. No known individuals were identified. The
216 associated funerary objects are 157 olivella beads, 15 Haliotis
beads and bead fragments, 6 bone awls, 3 bone pendants, 5 birdbone
tubes, 5 pieces of worked bone, 7 pieces of red ochre, 10 obsidian
tools and flakes, 6 chert tools and flakes, 2 pieces of pumice, 2
pieces of micaceous schist, and 2 other lithic tools. Three items on
the original manifest of artifacts are considered missing.
    Radiocarbon tests from the Reedland Woods site yielded dates of 370
B.C. 190 and 30 B.C. 95. Analysis of the artifacts found at the
Reedland Woods site indicate that the human remains were buried during
the Upper Archaic period (1500 B.C.-500 B.C.).
    In 1968 and 1969, human remains representing a minimum of three
individuals were removed from the Gables site (CA-SON-455), Santa Rosa,
Sonoma County, CA, during an excavation under the direction of Dr.
Fredrickson (accession 68-03). The human remains were
subsequently accessioned into the collections of the Archaeological
Collections Facility, Sonoma State University. In 1992, some of the
human remains were reburied. In 1997, additional human remains were
found. No known individuals were identified. No associated funerary
objects are present.
    The human remains date to Phase II of the Emergent Period (A.D.
1500-A.D.1800).
    Between 1969 and 1972, human remains representing a minimum of 23
individuals were removed from site CA-SON-456 near Sebastopol, Sonoma
County, CA, by students at Santa Rosa Junior College. The human remains
were housed at Santa Rosa Junior College until 1983 when they were
transferred to the Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State
University. In 1992, some of the human remains were reburied. In 1997,
additional human remains were found. No known individuals were
identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    Analysis of artifacts found at site CA-SON-456 indicates an
occupation from the Middle Archaic period to the Lower Emergent period
(3000 B.C.-A.D. 1500). Although the exact age and identity of the
individuals is unknown, it is likely that the human remains fall within
the periods indicated above and are Native American.
    In 1971, human remains representing a minimum of three individuals
were removed from site CA-MRN-254 in San Rafael, Marin County, CA,
during excavations conducted by C. Slaymaker of Dominican College. This
collection was donated to the Archaeological

[[Page 34276]]

Collections Facility, Sonoma State University by Jodie Sanchez in 1991.
In 1992, some of the human remains were reburied. In 1997, additional
human remains were located in the collection. No known individuals were
identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    The human remains from site CA-MRN-254 date to an unknown time
during prehistory. The site is located within the traditional Coast
Miwok territory.
    In 1972, 1974, 1975, and 1977, human remains representing a minimum
of 21 individuals were removed from site CA-SON-159, Cotati, Sonoma
County, CA, as part of an ongoing archeological field methods class at
Sonoma State University, under the direction of Dr. James A. Bennyhoff.
The collection has been housed at the Archaeological Collections
Facility, Sonoma State University since 1977 (accession 72-01,
74-3, 75-28, and 77-11). In 1992, some of the human remains were
reburied. In 1997, additional human remains were found. No known
individuals were identified. No associated funerary objects are
present.
    Analysis of artifacts found at site CA-SON-159 indicate an
occupation from the Laguna phase of the Middle Period (1000 B.C.-A.D.
500) to the Rincon and Gables phase of the Late Period (A.D. 500-A.D.
1579).
    It is believed that prior to 2000 B.C. the occupants of central
California were speakers of various Hokan languages. Between 2000 B.C.
and 1000 B.C. a new population of Penutian speakers began to arrive
from the north and east. Ancestral Miwok and Costonoan peoples were
among the first Hokan language speakers to arrive in the San Francisco
Bay area. Archeological evidence indicates that Coast Miwok people had
settled in Marin County by 1000 B.C., and that southern Sonoma County
and the nearby coastal areas probably came under Coast Miwok control by
500 B.C.. Francis Drake documented contact with the Coast Miwok in 1579
near Bodega Bay, CA. By 1850, a few Coast Miwok people were displaced
by non-Indians and forced to relocate to areas outside Marin and Sonoma
Counties, but many Coast Miwok remained in or returned to their
traditional territory. Descendants of the Coast Miwok are members of
the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria, California.
    In 1998, the Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State
University determined that while there was evidence of a shared group
identity (cultural affiliation) between the human remains and a
particular Indian group, the human remains were "culturally
unidentifiable" since the particular Indian group, the Federated Coast
Miwok, was not recognized as an Indian tribe by the United States at
that time. The Archeological Collections Facility requested that the
Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Review Committee
recommend disposition of the human remains to the Federated Coast
Miwok. On May 21, 1999, the Review Committee's Designated Federal
Officer, writing on behalf of the Secretary of the Interior,
recommended disposition of the human remains to the Federal Coast Miwok
once concurrence with the proposal was obtained from federally
recognized Indian tribes that currently resided in the immediate
vicinity of where the human remains were recovered. Officials of the
Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State University consulted
with five federally recognized Indian tribes: Dry Creek Rancheria of
Pomo Indians of California; Elem Indian Colony of Pomo Indians of the
Sulphur Bank Rancheria, California; Kashia Band of Pomo Indians of the
Stewarts Point Rancheria, California; Middletown Rancheria of Pomo
Indians of California; and Tuolumne Band of Me-Wuk Indians of the
Tuolumne Rancheria of California. All five tribes supported the
Federated Coast Miwok request for disposition. In 2000, the Federated
Coast Miwok became the federally recognized Federated Indians of Graton
Rancheria, California.
    Officials of the Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State
University determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (9-10), the
human remains described above represent the physical remains of 216
individuals of Native American ancestry. Officials of the
Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State University also have
determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (3)(A), the 216 objects
described above are reasonably believed to have been placed with or
near individual human remains at the time of death or later as part of
the death rite or ceremony. Lastly, officials of the Archaeological
Collections Facility, Sonoma State University have determined that,
pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group
identity can be reasonably traced between the Native American human
remains and associated funerary objects and the Federated Indians of
Graton Rancheria, California.
    Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to
be culturally affiliated with the human remains and associated funerary
objects should contact Erica Gibson, NAGPRA Project Coordinator,
Archaeological Collections Facility, Anthropological Studies Center,
Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA 94928, telephone (707) 664-
2015, before July 23, 2007. Repatriation of the human remains and
associated funerary objects to the Federated Indians of Graton
Rancheria, California may proceed after that date if no additional
claimants come forward.
    The Archaeological Collections Facility, Sonoma State University is
responsible for notifying the Dry Creek Rancheria of Pomo Indians of
California; Elem Indian Colony of Pomo Indians of the Sulphur Bank
Rancheria, California; Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria,
California; Kashia Band of Pomo Indians of the Stewarts Point
Rancheria, California; Middletown Rancheria of Pomo Indians of
California; and Tuolumne Band of Me-Wuk Indians of the Tuolumne
Rancheria of California that this notice has been published.

    Dated: May 30, 2007.
Sherry Hutt,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. E7-11985 Filed 6-20-07; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4312-50-S

Back to the top