FR Doc 2010-3785[Federal Register: February 25, 2010 (Volume 75, Number 37)]
[Notices]               
[Page 8742-8743]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr25fe10-115]                         

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service
 
Notice of Inventory Completion: Stephen F. Austin State 
University, Nacogdoches, TX

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves 
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the 
completion of an inventory of human remains and associated funerary 
objects in the control of Stephen F. Austin State University, 
Nacogdoches, TX. The human remains and associated funerary objects were 
removed from Nacogdoches, Smith, and Titus Counties, TX.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's 
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). 
The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the 
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native 
American human remains and associated funerary objects. The National 
Park Service is not responsible for the determinations in this notice.
    A detailed assessment of the human remains and associated funerary 
objects was made by the professional staff of Archeological & 
Environmental Consultants, LLC, under a sub-contract with the Historic 
Preservation Program of the Caddo Nation of Oklahoma, which was under 
contract with Stephen F. Austin State University.
    In the early 1900s, human remains representing a minimum of one 
individual were recovered from Washington Square, now the Thomas 
Jefferson Rusk Elementary School, in Nacogdoches, Nacogdoches County, 
TX, by Captain H.H. Cooper, a private citizen. This area is now 
designated as the Washington Square Site (41NA49). In 1930, the human 
remains were donated to the Stone Fort Museum on the Stephen F. Austin 
State University campus, and moved to the repository of the 
anthropology lab some time after 1975. No known individual was 
identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    The human remains were determined to be affiliated with the Caddo 
Nation of Oklahoma because they were recovered from a large Caddo 
occupation site dating to approximately A.D. 1200-1400. The Washington 
Square Site (41NA49) is located on Mound Street in Nacogdoches, so 
named because of the numerous Caddo mounds that were at that location. 
In 1889, a Nacogdoches newspaper article states that, ". . . the bones 
of human beings are being found in almost every cart load of dirt . . 
.'' (Star News Nacogdoches, May 31, 1889, vol. 14, no. 19).
    Prior to 1990, human remains representing a minimum of one 
individual were removed from an airport west of Tyler in Smith County, 
TX, by "Red" McFarland, a private citizen. McFarland noted that two 
ceramic vessels were associated with the skull, however, currently the 
whereabouts of the two ceramic vessels is unknown. The human remains 
are located in the repository of the Stephen F. Austin State University 
anthropology lab. No known individual was identified. No associated 
funerary objects are present.
    The human remains are determined to be affiliated with the Caddo 
Nation of Oklahoma based on the description of the associated ceramic 
vessels.
    Prior to 1990, human remains representing a minimum of one 
individual were removed from two miles north of Troup on the south bank 
of the Kickapoo River, Smith County, TX, by "Red" McFarland, a 
private citizen. The human remains are located in the repository of the 
Stephen F. Austin State University anthropology lab. No known 
individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are present.
    The human remains are determined to be affiliated with the Caddo 
Nation of Oklahoma based on provenience. The human remains were removed 
from a part of Texas that was occupied by the Caddo before and after 
European contact.
    Prior to 1990, human remains representing a minimum of one 
individual were removed from an unknown location in Smith County, TX, 
by an unknown individual. The human remains are located in the 
repository of the Stephen F. Austin State University anthropology lab. 
No known individual was identified. No associated funerary objects are 
present.
    The human remains are determined to be affiliated with the Caddo 
Nation of Oklahoma based on provenience. The human remains were removed 
from a part of Texas that was occupied by the Caddo before and after 
European contact.
    In 1985, human remains representing a minimum of three individuals 
were removed from two burials at the Washington Square Site (41NA49), 
in Nacogdoches, Nacogdoches County, TX, during excavations under the 
direction of Dr. James Corbin, Stephen F. Austin State University 
archeologist. The human remains are located in the repository of the 
Stephen F. Austin State University anthropology lab. No known 
individuals were identified. The 122 associated funerary objects are 49 
ceramic vessels; 47 marine shell beads and fragments; 1 fragmented 
marine shell pendant; 3 deer teeth; 9 pigment samples; 2 charred 
organic debris samples; and a cache of lithic debris with 9 chert 
flakes, 1 chert core, and 1 flake tool.
    All human remains and associated funerary objects from the 
Washington Square Site (41NA49) were determined to be affiliated with 
the Caddo Nation of Oklahoma. The ceramic styles are identified as 
Caddo, which date approximately from A.D. 1200 to 1400.
    In 1983, human remains representing a minimum of one individual 
were

[[Page 8743]]

excavated at 41TT135 (no site name) near Lake Monticello in Titus 
County, TX, during excavations by Espey Huston & Associates, Inc. In 
1984, the human remains were placed in the repository of Stephen F. 
Austin State University anthropology lab. No known individual was 
identified. The one associated funerary object is a broken ceramic 
vessel.
    The human remains and associated funerary object recovered from 
41TT135 have been determined to be affiliated with the Caddo Nation of 
Oklahoma. The broken vessel is plain, but other artifacts from the 
site, which are not funerary objects, indicate a Caddo occupation which 
may pre-date A.D. 1200.
    Officials of Stephen F. Austin State University have determined 
that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (9-10), the human remains described 
above represent the physical remains of eight individuals of Native 
American ancestry. Officials of Stephen F. Austin State University also 
have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (3)(A), the 123 
objects described are reasonably believed to have been placed with or 
near individual human remains at the time of death or later as part of 
the death rite or ceremony. Lastly, officials of the Stephen F. Austin 
State University have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (2), 
there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be reasonably 
traced between the Native American human remains and associated 
funerary objects and the Caddo Nation of Oklahoma.
    Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to 
be culturally affiliated with the human remains and associated funerary 
objects should contact Dr. Jerry Williams, Stephen F. Austin State o
University, P.O. Box 13047, SFA Station, Nacogdoches, TX 75962, 
telephone (936) 468-2306, before March 29, 2010. Repatriation of the 
human remains and associated funerary objects to the Caddo Nation of 
Oklahoma may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come 
forward.
    Stephen F. Austin State University is responsible for notifying the 
Caddo Nation of Oklahoma that this notice has been published.

    Dated: January 22, 2010
Sherry Hutt,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. 2010-3785 Filed 2-24-10; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4312-50-S


Back to the top