FR Doc E6-12027
[Federal Register: July 27, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 144)]
[Notices]               
[Page 42666-42667]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr27jy06-66]                         

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service

Notice of Inventory Completion: Horner Collection, Oregon State 
University, Corvallis, OR

AGENCY: National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Notice is here given in accordance with the Native American Graves 
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), 25 U.S.C. 3003, of the 
completion of an inventory of human remains in the possession of the 
Horner Collection, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR. The human 
remains were removed from an unknown location along the Yukon River, 
AK.
    This notice is published as part of the National Park Service's 
administrative responsibilities under NAGPRA, 25 U.S.C. 3003 (d)(3). 
The determinations in this notice are the sole responsibility of the 
museum, institution, or Federal agency that has control of the Native 
American human remains. The National Park Service is not responsible 
for the determinations in this notice.
    A detailed assessment of the human remains was made by Horner 
Collection, Oregon State University professional staff. The Calista 
Corporation and Doyon, Ltd. Were advised of the human remains, but did 
not participate in consultation.
    The Museum of the Oregon Country, Oregon Agricultural College was 
renamed the John B. Horner Museum of the Oregon Country in 1936, and 
became commonly known as the Horner Museum. The Oregon Agricultural 
College was renamed the Oregon State College in 1937, and became Oregon 
State University in 1962. The Horner Museum closed in 1995. Currently, 
cultural items from the Horner Museum are referred to as the Horner 
Collection, which is owned by, and in the possession of, Oregon State 
University.
    In 1934, human remains representing a minimum of one individual 
were removed from an unknown location along the Yukon River, AK. In 
1949, the human remains were donated to the Horner Museum by Mrs. 
Josephine C. Lloyd. It was Mrs. Lloyd's husband who had originally 
collected the human remains. No known individual was identified. No 
associated funerary objects are present.
    Member tribes of the Calista Corporation and Doyon, Ltd. have 
occupied the area along the Yukon River since time immemorial and that 
occupation continues today.
    Officials of the Horner Collection, Oregon State University have 
determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 3001 (9-10), the human remains 
described above represent the physical remains of one individual of 
Native American ancestry. Lastly, officials of the Horner Collection, 
Oregon State University have determined that, pursuant to 25 U.S.C. 
3001 (2), there is a relationship of shared group identity that can be 
reasonably traced between the Native American human remains and 
associated funerary objects and the Calista Corporation and Doyon, Ltd.
    Representatives of any other Indian tribe that believes itself to 
be culturally affiliated with the human remains should contact Sabah 
Randhawa, Executive Vice President and Provost, President's Office, 
Oregon State University, 600 Kerr Administration Building, Corvallis, 
OR 97331, telephone (541) 737-8260, before August 28, 2006. 
Repatriation of the human remains to the Calista Corporation and Doyon, 
Ltd. may proceed after that date if no additional claimants come 
forward.
    The Horner Collection, Oregon State University is responsible for 
notifying
[[Page 42667]]
the Calista Corporation and Doyon Ltd. that this notice has been 
published.

    Dated: June 20, 2006.
Sherry Hutt,
Manager, National NAGPRA Program.
[FR Doc. E6-12027 Filed 7-26-06; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4312-50-S

Back to the top