Ranger's tips on how to find parking
Parking is limited. Often visitors find shoulder parking and walk on the narrow road to the Visitor Center. Read the ranger's tips on the Best Times to Visit Muir Woods. Take the Muir Woods Shuttle weekends & holidays through October. More »
Trail closures: Middle Green Gulch Trail and Hillside Trails access limited.
Hillside Trail closed 10/6-8 and after 10/14 for construction and rehab. Middle Green Gulch trail is accessible from the farm, starting at the office end of the farm. Access to Middle Green Gulch is closed from the Kaasai direction during the week. More »
12/21/2012Location: Muir Woods Time: 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM Fee Information: Entrance fee applies
Simpler, Safer, Serene
Winter Solstice is Changing at Muir Woods
Friday, 12/21/12, Noon - 5 PM
Muir Woods invites you to a new Winter Solstice program that celebrates the shortest day of the year instead of the longest night.
Experience a Winter Wonderland of sights, sounds and fragrances with a day-lit walk among the giant trees.
- Interpreters along the trail share the highlights of the season
- Explore nature sounds recordings by experts Dan Dugan and Gina Farr
- Loosely Knits perform woodland melodies in the Visitor Center
- Make co-ho-ho and banana slug hats
- Muir Woods Trading Company Café special solstice menu
- Ane Carla Rovetta's joyful storytelling toward day's end
As the sun sets, we'll return the forest to its restful night. A luminaria-lit plaza will see you safely home. Check back to download a copy of the Muir Woods DIY Kit to create your own Winter Solstice traditions at home.
Park closes at 5 PM.