banner - Washington Association of New Jerseybutton - Morristown Exhibit Overviewbutton - Revolutionary War Homebutton - Back to NPS Main Site
Click image to enlarge

eorge Washington used the Ford Mansion as his military headquarters during the bitter winter of 1779-1780. A century later preservation-minded citizens saved the mansion from an uncertain fate. In 1873 the group bid $25,000 at an auction and saved the old landmark. They expected to hold the property in trust until the state of New Jersey could acquire it as a historical site. However, the legislature opted not to take over the house.

eft to their own resources, the group founded the Washington Association. Their intent was to make the mansion a place where visitors could contemplate the Revolutionary past, and in time of danger, find inspiration.

n opening the mansion to the public in the late 1800s, the Washington Association became one of the first American organizations devoted to the maintenance of a historic site. By the early 1930s, staffing and maintaining the museum became problematic. The Association then pursued the creation a historical park under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government.

image - Badge of the Washington Association
13 Portraits of American Legislators, Patriots and Soldiers - click to enlarge Badge of the Washington Association - click to enlarge Etching of Washington Headquarters, Morristown, NJ - click to enlarge
Engraving of Washington Headquarters, Morristown, NJ - click to enlarge
s a result of the Association's efforts, the scope of the National Park Service was broadened to include historical sites. On March 2, 1933, President Herbert Hoover signed the legislation establishing Morristown as the first National Historical Park.
<_Prev Page Next Page_>

Museum Management Program

button - Park Net Logo

Last Modified: Wednesday, January 10, 2007