No sculpture illumination October 6, 7 and 8, 2014
Due to replacement of the lighting system, the sculpture will not be illuminated on October 6, 7 and 8, 2014. The mountain will be illuminated for 30 minutes, beginning 1/2 hour after sunset, October 1- 5, and will resume nightly on October 9, 2014.
Memorial Lighting History
Sculptor Gutzon Borglum was very concerned with the effects of light on the memorial. He spent many hours studying the different shadows that were produced by the sun and made many adjustments so the best viewing could be achieved. His intention was to achieve optimal viewing during the daylight hours.
The combined power of all three lights equaled 1-billion candle power. The lighting was successful and they were turned on May 16 and remained on during the whole week for the celebration.
The lighting success led to a brainstorming effort to find a more permenent solution to lighting the memorial.
In December of 1948, the superintendent and three engineers form the regional office in Omaha, NE, met with the Black Hill Power & Light Company to discuss a plan to light the memorial.
By August of 1949, Black Hills Power and Light had completed installing a power line from Keystone to Mount Rushmore and the construction of power distribution boxes began.
The power system was finished and tested by November of 1949. The lighting was a little disappointing there were many unwanted shadows and not enough shadows for contrast at other points. Many at the time thought the lighting would improve when all the lights were properly focused.
Two banks of lights, each containing 27 Crouse-Hinds and Westinghouse searchlights were located southeast of the memorial on Doane Mountain near the concession building. Each of the 54 searchlights were rated at 1,500 watts and produced a combined total of 81,000 watts, after all the focusing was completed in December, it was determined that additional lights were needed for better results.
That following April a studied was conducted and it was determined that 2 more searchlights were needed to improve the lighting of the memorial. The efforts were partly successful, but again it was determined that an additional bank of 8-10 lights were really needed.
Adjustments to searchlights and the previously installed lights continued throughout the summer of 1950 and on June 25th a ceremony was held dedicating the new lighting system. Nearly 5,000 people attended the ceremony, which featured an address by Columnist Drew Pearson.
Shortly thereafter, from August 1 through Labor Day lighting programs were held on a regular schedule from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
By mid February of 1951, the additional light bank was completed and tested. This third bank of lights consisted of 8 searchlights (1,000 watts each) and it was located to the east of the memorial. The three banks of lights now totaled 62 lights and equaled 89,000 watts.
As technology progressed a new upgrading of lights took place in 1990 and then again in 1998. Today there are 32 lights that illuminate the memorial. The lights are a combination of Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium and they all equal 18,800 watts.
Did You Know?
The figure of Thomas Jefferson was originally started on Washington's right side. After 18 months of carving the figure of Jefferson had to be blasted off the mountain and restarted on Washington's left side.