Wick House - Henry Wick built this Cape Cod Style house around 1750. His 1,400 acre farm, most of which was covered by forest, made him the largest landowner in Morristown. Henry Wick's trees attracted Washington's army to the area as a winter encampment site because they needed logs to build cabins for shelter and wood to burn for heating and cooking. During the winter of 1779-1780 the army chopped down over 600 acres of his trees on Mr. Wick's property and more on neighbor's property. Additionally, Major General Arthur St. Clair, commander of 2,000 Pennsylvania soldiers, made his quarters in Mr. Wick's home for the winter.
Today the house is open top the public and is furnished to portray its use as a general's headquarters.
Grand Parade - Originally the Grand Parade was an open field 400 yards long and 100 yards wide. A two-room log cabin located there served as the camp administrative center from which orders were issued and court-martials were held. Two cannon stationed here served as alarm guns to alert the camp of attack. Guards assembled daily on the Grand Parade for inspections and to receive their orders. The Grand Parade also served as a place for military executions; two soldiers were hanged and buried here.
Guerin House -
Did You Know?
The Grand Union Flag, also called Congress Colors, First Navy Ensign, or Cambridge Flag, had 13 red and white stripes and a blue field in the upper left corner with the cross of St. George of England and the cross of St. Andrew of Scotland. It was the first flag of the American Revolution.