The Wagner Perspective
Jim Bridger established Fort Bridger in 1843 as a fur trading post. It was composed of two double-log houses about 40 feet long that were joined by a pen for horses. The Mormon Pioneer Company reached the fort on July 7, 1847, and spent a day there but considered its prices too high.
Thomas Bullock commented, "several brethren go to make trades with the French & Indians, but few succeeded, as they could not obtain sufficient for their goods." Here the main Oregon-California Trail turned north toward Fort Hall, and the Mormon Trail/Hastings Cutoff continued west to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake. The fort served as a Pony Express, Overland Stage and transcontinental telegraph station in the 1860s and was garrisoned by the U.S. Army between 1857 and 1890.
The fort has a museum/visitor center and a reconstruction of Bridger's log trading post.Fort Bridger State Historic Site
Fort Bridger, WY 82601
More Mormon Pioneer NHT sites:
Did You Know?
The Pioneer Company of the Mormon immigration to Utah stopped at this point in 1847 to climb it in hopes of locating the famous guiding landmark "Chimney Rock." They named the point "Frogs Head Bluff" because they thought the rock looked much like a giant frog's face.