Montrose Landing - Montrose, IowaThe pioneers landed in Montrose, on the west shore of the Mississippi River, during their exodus from Nauvoo in 1846. The first wagon, belonging to Charles Shumway, was ferried across the river on February 4.
Orson Pratt recorded his crossing on February 14: "The falling of the snow and the cold northwest wind have made the weather very disagreeable. . . . We found the ferryman and his man standing in the open air around a small fire. We prevailed upon them to venture across and in a short time we found ourself safely landed on the West bank of the great Mississippi." The Mormons continued their exodus from Nauvoo through September, when the last members of the church were run out of town by hostile mobs.
More Mormon Pioneer NHT sites:
Back to the Suggested Trail Sites to Visit page.
Did You Know?
The Pioneer Company of the Mormon immigration to Utah stopped at this point in 1847 to climb it in hopes of locating the famous guiding landmark "Chimney Rock." They named the point "Frogs Head Bluff" because they thought the rock looked much like a giant frog's face.