Preservation and Stabilization of the Thomas Farm Blacksmith Shop Ruins
Historic references indicate that a blacksmith shop was in operation at the Thomas Farm by the 19th century; it is mentioned in several historic references, including an 1856 advertisement in the Frederick Examiner. The Thomas Farm blacksmith shop was a stone structure measuring 16 by 35 feet, and is located along an early road trace to the rear of the Thomas House.
Archeological excavations were undertaken at the ruins of the blacksmith shop in 2007, and helped refine the original footprint and layout of the building, including an interior partition wall and a 12-foot door opening. The remains of the brick forge were also recovered, along with a wide variety of artifacts.
In spring 2008, stone masons stabilized and repointed extant wall segments to prevent further deterioration. In addition, sections of wall that were identified archeologically were rebuilt so that they are visible above-grade, visually delineating the original footprint of the blacksmith shop. Completion of this project will help prevent further deterioration of the ruins, and will also help preserve the site for future researchers.
Preservation and stabilization of the Thomas Farm blacksmith shop was performed by the National Park Service's Historic Preservation Training Center (HPTC). HPTC is headquartered at Monocacy National Battlefield in the historic Gambrill House.
Did You Know?
White-tailed deer are found in abundance on the battlefield. The rising population of deer has an intense affect on the herbaceous and woody plants found within the park, and several studies have recently been conducted on the effects of the overpopulation of deer. More...