14th New Jersey Monument Restoration Project
The 14th New Jersey Monument was the first of five monuments to be erected at Monocacy National Battlefield. It was dedicated on July 11, 1907 at a ceremony attended by 180 surviving members of the regiment.
To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the monument, a ceremony was held on July 7, 2007. In advance of the rededication, the National Park Service initiated a restoration of the 14th New Jersey Monument.
One aspect of the project focused on the removal of biological growth and other contaminants from the sculpture and base. In addition, a number of areas of damage - probably as a result of vandalism - were carefully repaired and restored. The monument's bronze plaques were cleaned and waxed, and the concrete apron surrounding the base was replaced. A plaque commemorating the monument's anniversary was unveiled at the rededication ceremony.
Did You Know?
Monocacy National Battlefield was created by an act of Congress in 1934, but did not open to the public until 1991. More...