Erected by the state of Pennsylvania and unveiled on November 24, 1908, this was the second monument to be constructed on the battlefield. The dedication ceremony was attended by roughly 250 survivors from the 67th, 87th, and 138th Pennsylvania regiments.
During the Battle of Monocacy, the 87th Pennsylvania was positioned on the Thomas Farm between the 10th Vermont and the 14th New Jersey, where they experienced some of the battle's heaviest fighting. In fact, some members of the regiment held strategic sniping positions inside the Thomas House. The 138th Pennsylvania was initially held in reserve until going into position on the extreme left of the Union line at the Thomas Farm. It is important to note that the 67th Pennsylvania did not participate in the Battle of Monocacy; they were part of the "missing brigade" that was held up at New Market, Maryland (near Monrovia, Maryland).
The monument is constructed of blue westerly Rhode Island granite and stands 35 feet high on a 10-foot-square base. The top of the base supports a polished die with four Doric columns supporting a cylindrical shaft with a carved cap. At the top is a polished ball, 3 feet 6 inches in diameter, bearing the VI Corps' symbol - a Greek cross.
The tablet on the west side of the base is dedicated to the Union troops and reads: