The Maryland Civil War Marker was dedicated on July 9, 1964, to commemorate the centennial of the Battle of Monocacy. Frederick County Civil War Centennial, Inc. sponsored the event in cooperation with the Maryland Civil War Centennial Commission. The tablet reads:
The Battle of Monocacy
The Battle that Saved Washington
Here along the Monocacy River on July 9, 1864, was fought the battle between Union forces under General Lew Wallace and Confederate forces under General Jubal A. Early.
The battle, although a temporary victory for the Confederates, delayed their march on Washington one day, thereby enabling General Grant to send veteran reinforcements from Petersburg, Virginia to the defences of Washington in time to forestall the attack by the Confederates and thus save the Capital from capture.
Dedicated on July 9, 1964 to honor the Maryland soldiers who fought here for the Union and the Confederacy.
J. Millard Tawes, Governor of Maryland
Maryland Civil War Centennial Commission, George L. Radcliffe, Chairman
Restoration work completed in 2005 reestablished the post and chain fence surrounding the monument.