• Monocacy National Battlefield, Best Farm

    Monocacy

    National Battlefield Maryland

Lewis Farm

Lewis Farm in Monocacy National Battlefield

The Lewis Farm was originally part of a much larger land tract owned by James Marshall. Marshall's daughter Eleanor and her husband John L. Harding owned the property until 1819, and it changed hands a number of times until 1863, when it was acquired by C. K. Thomas, owner of the nearby Thomas Farm. The farm is generally referred to as the Lewis Farm after "H. Lewis," who owned the property in the 1870s.

 
Lewis Farm

The Lewis Farm contains four historic structures: a mid-nineteenth century sided log farmhouse, an 1870s timber frame corncrib and bank barn, and a twentieth century springhouse. The corncrib and bank barn have been recently stabilized, and the farmhouse porch is slated for stabilization in the next several years.

Did You Know?

Monocacy Junction, 1917

The "Y" at Monocacy Junction, completed in 1830, allows trains to turn around. It was the first of its kind in the United States, and is still in use today.