Updated: March 14, 2015
Call for updates 760 252-6108 (7 days a week); 760 252-6101 (weekdays only).
Paved Roads - Watch for potholes on all paved roads.
Recent rains have damaged park roads. Watch for washouts and road damage.
- Black Canyon Road - Open. Paved road surface is undercut in places- watch for warning cones. Also watch for loose sand in washes.
- Essex Road - Open. Paved road surface is undercut in places- watch for warning cones.
- Ivanpah Road - Open.
- Kelbaker Road - Open; watch for loose sand in washes.
- Kelso-Cima Road - Open.
- Lanfair Road - Open. Paved road surface is undercut in places- watch for warning cones.
- Morning Star Mine Road - Open.
- Cima Road - Open
- Zzyzx Road - Open
- Kelso Dunes Road - Open to all vehicles.
- Black Canyon Road - Open; high clearance recommended. 4-wheel drive may be necessary due to recent and ongoing rains.
- Cedar Canyon Road -Open; high clearance recommended. 4-wheel drive may be necessary.
- Lanfair Road - Open. Damage at washes; a few sandy areas. High clearance recommended.
- Ivanpah Road - Open- Rough- Washes have sustained damage in recent storms - 4-wheel drive recommended.
- Aiken Mine Road - Open. High clearance vehicle recommended.
- Wildhorse Canyon Road - Open. Southern end is sandy and soft.for two miles. High clearance vehicle recommended.
- Macedonia Road - Open. High clearance vehicle recommended. Sand often washes onto the road under the railroad overpass at the west end. Carry a shovel to move sand if needed. Standard pickups and SUVs will probably fit, but higher-profile vehicles may not.
- Mojave Road - Open. 4-wheel drive recommended.
- One section of the Mojave Road crossing the Piute Range is badly eroded. Clearance is narrow.
- Soda Lake may be impassible at times due to seasonal rains. Call Kelso Depot at 760-252-6108 for the latest conditions.
When traveling to the preserve via I-15 or I-40 check Caltran's Highway Information Service for up-to-the-minute road conditions at 1-800-427-7623.
Traveling to the park on the historic Route 66? Check on Route 66 road closures and updates here.
National Weather Service
Current weather and forecasts:
Cima, Calif. (4,195 feet)
Kelso, Calif. (2,194 feet)
Mid Hills Campground - Open. First come, first served only.
Hole-in-the-Wall Campground - Open. October - November, and March - April are the busiest periods, when the campground may fill on weekends. First come, first served only.
Black Canyon Group and Equestrian Campground - Open. Reservations required; call 760-928-2572 for more information.
Kelso Depot Visitor Center open daily, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; closed Christmas Day.
Hole-in-the-Wall Information Center: Open Wednesday through Sunday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m; closed Christmas and New Year's Day.
Mitchell Caverns, Providence Mountains State Recreation Area remains CLOSED until further notice.