Crews work to fill potholes on Kelso-Cima Road
Updated: April 23, 2015
Call for updates 760 252-6108 (7 days a week); 760 252-6101 (weekdays only).
Road work is scheduled to occur on some paved roads in the park beginning in late April through the end of June, 2015. While no road closures are anticipated, resurfacing activities may cause delays of up to 15 minutes due to single lane closures. For more information on planned road work, click here.
Paved Roads - Watch for potholes on all paved roads.
- Black Canyon Road - Open. Paved road surface is undercut in places- watch for warning cones. Also watch for loose sand in washes.
- Essex Road - Open. Paved road surface is undercut in places- watch for warning cones.
- Ivanpah Road - Open
- Kelbaker Road - Open; watch for loose sand in washes.
- Kelso-Cima Road - Open
- Lanfair Road - Open. Paved road surface is undercut in places- watch for warning cones.
- Morning Star Mine Road - Open
- Cima Road - Open
- Zzyzx Road - Open
- Kelso Dunes Road - Open to all vehicles.
- Black Canyon Road - Open; high clearance recommended.
- Cedar Canyon Road -Open; high clearance recommended.
- Lanfair Road - Open. High clearance recommended.
- Ivanpah Road - Open - Rough, High clearance vehicle recommended.
- Aiken Mine Road - Open. High clearance vehicle recommended.
- Wildhorse Canyon Road - Open. High clearance vehicle recommended.
- Macedonia Road - Open. High clearance vehicle recommended.
- Mojave Road - Open. 4-wheel drive recommended.
- One section of the Mojave Road crossing the Piute Range is badly eroded. Clearance is narrow.
- Soda Lake may be impassible at times due to seasonal rains. Call Kelso Depot at 760-252-6108 for the latest conditions.
When traveling to the preserve via I-15 or I-40 check Caltran's Highway Information Service for up-to-the-minute road conditions at 1-800-427-7623.
Traveling to the park on the historic Route 66? Check on Route 66 road closures and updates here.
National Weather Service
Current weather and forecasts:
Cima, Calif. (4,195 feet)
Kelso, Calif. (2,194 feet)
Mid Hills Campground - Open. First come, first served only.
Hole-in-the-Wall Campground - Open. October - November, and March - April are the busiest periods, when the campground may fill on weekends. First come, first served only.
Black Canyon Group and Equestrian Campground - Open. Reservations required; call 760-928-2572 for more information.
Kelso Depot Visitor Center open daily, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; closed Christmas Day.
Hole-in-the-Wall Information Center: Open Wednesday through Sunday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m; closed Christmas and New Year's Day.
Mitchell Caverns, Providence Mountains State Recreation Area remains CLOSED until further notice.