Upper St. Anthony Falls Lock and Dam
US Army Corps of Engineers
The dream of traveling north of St. Anthony Falls on the Mississippi River was made possible when Congress approved the Upper Minneapolis Harbor Development Project in 1937. This project included the construction of the Upper St. Anthony Falls Lock and Dam that was completed in 1963.
With a lift of 49 feet, the lock at St. Anthony Falls accounts for more than 10% of the total height change of the Mississippi River between the Twin Cities and St. Louis, MO. The Army Corps of Engineers also operates an observatory on this site. This Lock and Dam along with the Lower St. Anthony Falls Lock and Dam allow navigation to the head of the Mississippi River's 9-foot channel and spans the remnants of the Mississippi River's only waterfall.
Activities: The Upper St. Anthony Falls Lock and Dam offers tours of the facilities to scheduled groups.
Contact Information: Call the Upper St. Anthony Falls Lock and Dam at (612) 333-5336. To arrange for a tour, call (877) 552-1416.
Did You Know?
Over 600 men worked around the clock using hand tools, horses and coal powered shovels to build the original Coon Rapids Dam in 1913. The dam was rebuilt between 1995 and 1997.