Tales of a Time Traveler (Post-Visit Activity)
Download Lesson Plan 76KB PDF
Courtesy of Mesa Verde Museum Association. Jim Tschetter, artist.
- Grade Level:
- Third Grade-Eighth Grade
- American Indian History and Culture, Family Life, Language Arts
- Two to four class periods
- Group Size:
- Up to 36
- National/State Standards:
- CO.3.RWC.OEL.1, CO.4.RWC.WC.3
OverviewThis POST-VISIT ACTIVITY is intended for use after a trip to Mesa Verde National Park and an educational tour of Balcony House.
Students write a story describing a trip back through time to Balcony House in the year A.D. 1250. Students will describe the environment, their daily activities, and how they meet their basic needs. A class discussion will enhance the lesson by comparing and contrasting their lives with the lives of the Ancestral Pueblo people
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate their knowledge of the three elements of culture discussed at Mesa Verde (basic needs, activities of daily living, and adaptations to environment) through stories.
- Identify at least three specific features of Balcony House in their stories.
- Explain the significance of cultural artifacts or ideas.
- Demonstrate an ability to compare and contrast elements of their culture with another's.
- Paper and pencil for all students
- Pictures from your Mesa Verde field trip, or alternatively from the park website (www.nps.meve)
- Copies of diagrams on p.3 and p.4 of lesson plan, or alternatively draw these on chart paper or chalk/white board