The Geometric Artistry of Mesa Verde Pottery
Download Lesson Plan 2MB PDF
- Grade Level:
- Seventh Grade-Twelfth Grade
- Art, Geometry, Mathematics
- One to two class periods
- Group Size:
- Up to 36
- National/State Standards:
CO 7th Math: 4.1, CCSS:7.G;
CO HS Math: 4.5, CCSS: G-MG, CCSS: G-MG.1, and CCSS: G-MG.2
OverviewIn this geometry lesson, students will learn about the Ancestral
Pueblo people and the pottery they created. Students will use
their knowledge of geometric designs, symmetry, and parallel
lines to recreate a pot’s design based on actual pottery shards
from the Mesa Verde Collection.
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate their understanding of symmetry, geometric designs, and parallel lines by defining these terms in their own words.
- Use their understanding of symmetry, geometric designs, and parallel lines to finish a layout given a shard of pottery.
- Write a paragraph summarizing what they have learned.
Find the background information at the following links:
- The Geometric Artistry of Mesa Verde Pottery Worksheet
- Photocopies of pottery examples, the three types of structures, and pottery shards (see lesson plan)
- PowerPoint, optional (Full lesson is available on the optional Powerpoint presentation - 7.6 mb)