At Verkamps Visitor Center (1906) it is possible to see the actual pen that was used by President Woodrow Wilson to sign the legislation that made Grand Canyon a national park on February 26, 1919.
Verkamp's Visitor Center is a short walk east of the El Tovar Hotel and Hopi House, the canyon's newest visitor contact station in one of its oldest buildings. At the information desk, National Park Service rangers and Grand Canyon Association staff will answer any questions you may have. The Exhibit Area: The exhibits focus on the Grand Canyon Community - what it was like to live and work here on the brink of one of the seven natural wonders of the world. A walking history timeline on the floor leads visitors through the exhibits on a tour of the important moments in local, national and international history. From the Verkamp's Visitor Center, the Rim Trail leads to other businesses and viewpoints along the rim. Open daily 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. during the summer months. The Verkamp's home and business was constructed in 1906, and it was open as a gift shop (that featured Grand Canyon souvenirs and Native American arts and crafts) through September 17, 2008. Verkamp's re-opened as a visitor center on November 26, 2008. The National Park Service now owns the building and it hosts a bookstore and exhibits about the pioneer history of Grand Canyon Village. Several ranger-conducted activities start here. NPS photo by Michael Quinn. Read more: www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/verkamps.htm
Download 7.1 MB