The ‘new’ Cliff House as it appeared at the time it reopened in 1909. When Emma Sutro Merritt decided to rebuild after the disastrous 1907 fire that destroyed her father’s “French Chateau” Cliff House, she asked for a fire-proof structure for the site. Dr. Merritt hired the noted San Francisco architectural firm of the Reid Brothers to design the new structure, which would be a radical departure from its predecessor. With its foot-thick concrete walls and subdued neoclassical details, the new Cliff House appeared more bunker-like than Victorian whimsy. Some architects have observed that the 1909 Cliff House bore a marked resemblance to another Reid Brothers landmark in San Francisco – the Fairmont Hotel atop Nob Hill.
Download 499 KB