This historic house is marked by a plaque with the following information: "State Historical Survey Committee; McBride Ranch House; Built 1903; A pioneer settler quarried Alibates Dolomite from the canyon rim to build this house, mortared with lime burned on the site. Wood in ridge beams, door and window lintels, ice house, and corral came from old railroad bridge timbers salvaged from Canadian River. The floors are of masonry mortar. The builder, David Nichols McBride, was born Oct. 22, 1849, in Henry County, Ill. Married Abigail Catharine Stringer at Fort Sill, Indian Territory, July 2, 1876, and settled near village of Amarillo Sept. 17, 1887--just 18 days after Potter County was organized. The McBrides had seven children. This site (in "watered homestead") and three alternate "dry grazing" school lands sections were situated in center of the famous LX Ranch, owned by the American Pastoral Company of London. Patent for his land was issued to McBride in 1901, upon proof of three years occupancy. The homestead section cost $1.50 an acre, with payments extending over 40 years at 3% interest. The grazing land cost $1.00 an acre. McBride died June 26, 1928, in Needles, Calif. Heirs sold this property in 1963 to the Canadian River Municipal Water Authority. It is now administered by the National Park Service, Sanford Recreation Area, Lake Meredith. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 1972"
Download 123 KB