Site Marker--Washington's Marquee Site of the Marquee On this spot General George Washington erected his campaign tent (marquee) when he entered Valley Forge December 19, 1777. He occupied this tent until December 24, 1777 when he moved his headquarters to the Potts house at the junction of Valley Creek and Schuylkill River. DESCRIPTION: Carved granite monument. DONOR & DATE: The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 1947. HISTORICAL DATA: The marker designates the traditional site where General Washington pitched his marquee for use as headquarters. He used the marquee for about a week before moving into the Potts house. According to the 1943-47 Commonwealth Report, "This granite marker is set on the points of the compass facing due south and is engraved with a directional arrow circled, and revealing the Commander-in-Chief's initials "GW" traced from one of his original surveyors drawings."
Download 37 KB