Santa Rosa Island Photo Gallery
Channel Islands National Park
Images from Santa Rosa Island.
The two-story main ranch house, located in Becher's Bay, was built during the 1870's and today is on the national register of historic places.
Santa Rosa Island was a working ranch from the mid 1800s to the late 1990s. In 1986, the island came under the ownership of the National Park Service. Although the former owners run a private hunting operation a few months of the year for introduced deer and elk under a special use permit, visitation is welcome throughout the year
Prior to the removal of cattle from the island in the late 1990s, the Vaquero II, a shallow-drafted, floating cattle pen, would tie up to the pier in Becher's Bay to brings cattle onto the island each fall and take them off each spring and summer. Today, the National Park Service and visitors use this pier to access the island.
Rangers often lead nature hikes in Lobo Canyon, a beautiful vegetated area with a year-round stream surrounded by majestic wind-and water-sculpted sandstone cliffs.