Photo Gallery

Haleakalā Highway
Haleakalā National Park

The Haleakalā Highway is a 37-mile road from Kahului to the summit of Haleakalā, with the last 10.6 miles within the park. Construction of the road from the park boundary to White Hill began in 1933 and was completed in 1935. Certain measures were made to minimize the negative impact to the environment as well as harmonize the road with its surroundings including covering rocks to match the shade of the stone masonry work. The road was improved and expanded during a nationwide initiative from 1956-1966 to modernize the Park Service which was called the Mission 66 Program. The Kalahaku and Leleiwi Overlooks and Red Hill Observatories were built during this time.