Photo Gallery

Red Hill
Haleakalā National Park

Red Hill, or Pu'u 'Ula'ula, is a cinder cone southwest of White Hill and the true summit of Haleakalā at 10,023 feet. From 1941 to 1948 it was occupied by the Army who built various facilities on it. It was not until 1961 that the military facilities were removed and the Red Hill Observatory was constructed from 1962-1963. The buildings, stairs and parking lot were designed by NPS Architect Cecil Doty who was a prominent architect during the Mission 66-era of NPS development. Mission-66 architecture was more modernist in style versus early NPS architecture which was more rustic.