Photo Gallery

Headquarters Area
Haleakalā National Park

Construction on the Park Headquarters area started in 1935 as part of the early NPS development of the Haleakalā Section of Hawaii National Park. This area was intended for park staff housing, park administration, operations and visitor outreach. It was also used as a permanent camp by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from 1936-1941. Development of the Park Headquarters Area continued during the Mission-66 era. The Visitor Center was built between 1958-1960 to replace the smaller 1936 ranger office/checking station. Additional staff residences were constructed in 1962. Thus, this area shows NPS architectural styles ranging from early Rustic to Mission-66 modern.