National Park Service
Return to Maritime home page
Inventory of Historic Light Stations
Florida Lighthouses
Back to Inventory - Home Page
Back to Inventory - List of Florida Lighthouses
ST. AUGUSTINE LIGHT

State: FLORIDA
Location: ANASTASIA ISLAND
Nearest City: ST. AUGUSTINE
County: ST. JOHNS
U.S.C.G. District: 7
Year Station Established: 1823


St. Augustine Light
Photo courtesy Dan Spinella, 1996
Existing Historic Tower:
  • Year Light First Lit: 1874
  • Is the Light Operational? YES
  • Date Deactivated: N/A
  • Automated: 1955
  • Foundation Materials: BRICK ON COQUINA
  • Construction Materials: BRICK
  • Markings/Patterns: BLACK/WHITE SPIRAL BANDS W/RED LANTERN
  • Shape: CONICAL ATTACHED TO STORAGE BLDG.
  • Relationship to Other Structures: ATTACHED
  • Tower Height: 165
  • Original Optic: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL
  • Year Original Lens Installed: 1874
  • Present Optic: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL
  • Year Present Lens Installed: 1874
  • Height of Focal Plane: 161
  • Fresnel Lens Disposition: ORIGINAL "L. SAUTTER ET LEMONIER ET CO." REVOLVING LENS IN OPERATION
  • Has tower been moved? NO
Previous Tower(s):
  • 1. Construction Date: 1737
  • Description: COQUINA TOWER ORIGINALLY BUILT BY SPANISH AS WATCH TOWER, USED BY BRITISH 1763-1784 AND AMERICA AFTER 1821
  • Fate/Disposition: WASHED INTO SEA DURING 1880 STORM
Modern Tower? NO

Existing Sound Signal Building? NO

Existing Keepers Quarters? YES
  • Year Constructed: 1876
  • Number of Stories: 2
  • Architectural Style: VICTORIAN DUPLEX
  • Construction Materials: BRICK/WOOD
Other Structures: WOODEN GARAGE (1936), WOODEN USCG BARRACKS (1941)

Current Use: ACTIVE AID TO NAVIGATION/MUSEUM

Owner/Manager: ST. AUGUSTINE LIGHTHOUSE AND MUSEUM, INC. (TOWER)/ST. JOHNS COUNTY (GROUNDS/KEEPERS)

Open to the Public? YES (Go to Lighthouses to Visit for access information)

National Register Status: LISTED; Reference #81000668
Name of Listing: ST. AUGUSTINE LIGHTHOUSE & KEEPER'S QUARTERS
On State List/Inventory? NO; Year Listed:

Miscellaneous:
RESTORED DWELLING CONTAINS MUSEUM, THEATER, AND BOOKSTORE; LENS DAMAGED BY RIFLE FIRE IN 1986, DISCONTINUED TO SAVE FURTHER DAMAGE 1991; FIRST ORDER LENS RELIT IN 1993 AND TEMPORARY LIGHT REMOVED; TRANSFERRED TO THE ST. AUGUSTINE LIGHTHOUSE AND MUSEUM, INC. IN 2002 UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE NATIONAL HISTORIC LIGHTHOUSE PRESERVATION ACT.



Return to Maritime home page



Last Modified: Tues, Dec 27 2005 10:10:00 am EDT
JMP



Privacy & Disclaimer

Parknet logo