National Park Service
Return to Maritime home page
Inventory of Historic Light Stations
Massachusetts Lighthouses
Back to Inventory - Home Page
Back to Inventory - List of Massachusetts Lighthouses
CAPE POGE (POGUE) LIGHT

State: MASSACHUSETTS
Location: MARTHAS VINEYARD / CHAPPAQUIDDICK ISLAND
Nearest City: EDGARTOWN
County: DUKES
U.S.C.G. District: 1
Year Station Established: 1801


Cape Poge (Pogue) Light
Photo by Jeremy D'Entremont
Existing Historic Tower:
  • Year Light First Lit: 1893
  • Is the Light Operational? YES
  • Date Deactivated: N/A
  • Automated: 1943
  • Foundation Materials: STONE
  • Construction Materials: WOOD SHINGLE
  • Markings/Patterns: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
  • Shape: CONICAL
  • Relationship to Other Structures: SEPARATE
  • Tower Height: 35
  • Original Optic: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
  • Year Original Lens Installed: 1857
  • Present Optic: 300 MM, SOLAR POWERED
  • Year Present Lens Installed:
  • Height of Focal Plane: 65 Fresnel Lens Disposition: LENS AT MARTHA'S VINEYARD HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM, EDGARTOWN, MA
  • Has tower been moved? YES, 1907, 1922, 1960, 1987
Previous Tower(s):
  • Construction Date: 1844
  • Description: WOODEN OCTOGONAL TOWER ON RUBBLE FOUNDATION
  • Fate/Disposition:
Modern Tower? NO

Existing Sound Signal Building? NO

Existing Keepers Quarters? NO (DETERIORATED)
  • Year Constructed: 1851
  • Number of Stories: 0
  • Architectural Style:
  • Construction Materials:
Other Structures: ALL DESTROYED / ORIG. BOATHOUSE, GARAGE (1925), LOOKOUT TOWER (1942), CISTERN, STORAGE BUILDING

Current Use: ACTIVE AID TO NAVIGATION

Owner/Manager: U.S. COAST GUARD LEASE TO THE TRUSTEES OF RESERVATIONS

Open to the Public? YES (Go to Lighthouses to Visit for access information)

Web Site:

National Register Status: LISTED; Reference #87002040
Name of Listing: CAPE POGE LIGHT (LIGHTHOUSES OF MASSACHUSETTS TR)
On State List/Inventory? YES; Year Listed:

Miscellaneous:
THIRD TOWER ON SITE; TOWER REBUILT IN 1893 USING PLANS OF 1844 TOWER (LANTERN MOVED FROM 1844 TOWER TO 1893 TOWER); TOWER MOVED 150 FEET IN 1960; RELOCATED 500 FEET IN 1987 WHEN TOWER STOOD 13 FEET FROM EDGE OF BLUFF



Return to Maritime home page



Last Modified: Fri, Apr 5 2002 2:33:02 pm EDT
JMP



Privacy & Disclaimer

Parknet logo