Heavy Equipment on McKenzie Carriage Road - Use Caution
All trails are now open. However, there is still equipment on the McKenzie Carriage Road. Hikers and horse riders should use caution when using that road.
The Woodbarn was built between 1875 and 1876 to accommodate Frederick Billings' forestry operations. Timber products were processed in the adjoining yard then stored in the Woodbarn. The structure continued to be used for forestry until the 1950s. It was restored by the National Park Service in 2008 and adapted for storage of the park's historic carriage collection. The Woodbarn also features an exhibit called, The Mount Tom Forest: A Legacy of Stewardship. It is open to the public daily from Memorial Day weekend through October.
Did You Know?
45 miles of carriage roads, an early 20th century gift of John D. Rockefeller Jr., weave around the granite mountains and valleys of Acadia NP. 14 miles of carriage roads, built in the 1880s by Frederick Billings, traverse the gentle slopes and historic woodlands of Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller NHP.