The Bungalow, located on the hill adjacent to the Mansion, is a Craftsman-style building constructed in 1916-17. It was designed as a secluded retreat by Harold Van Buren Magonigle for Mary Montague Billings French, daughter of Frederick Billings. The Bungalow remained unchanged until 1959 when the daughter of Mrs. French, Mary French Rockefeller, commissioned architect Theodor Muller of New York to renovate the building. Muller added a simple but modern kitchen and furnished it with many of the decorative items Laurance Rockefeller inherited from his father's estate in Seal Harbor, Maine. The inspiration for Muller's design was a Japanese Shinto temple. The Bungalow contains Asian decorative elements and fine art and also houses artwork from the South Pacific and Africa.
Did You Know?
45 miles of carriage roads, an early 20th century gift of John D. Rockefeller Jr., weave around the granite mountains and valleys of Acadia NP. 14 miles of carriage roads, built in the 1880s by Frederick Billings, traverse the gentle slopes and historic woodlands of Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller NHP.