Creating Sculptures from Natural Materials
- Grade Level:
- Ninth Grade-Twelfth Grade
- Art, Civic Engagement, Community, Conservation, Design, Ecology, Landscapes, Service Learning, Textiles
- Over 3 months
- Group Size:
- Up to 24 (4-8 breakout groups)
- in the park
- National/State Standards:
- Create natural material site-specific sculpture that encourages or challenges viewers or visitors to look more closely and notice what is unique in the nature environment.
- art, sculpture, natural environment, place based
OverviewStudents will address real world issues through considering their impact on the environment, creating public site-specific art for a national historical park, integrating interdisciplinary understandings, and collaborating with a diverse group.
Students will be able to independently use their learning to...
- Become stewards for the environment through developing a sense of place
- create visual arts that can impact both human and natural communities
A Place-based Understanding by Design (UbD) Unit.
sketchbooks, small natural materials sculptures, drawings
Collaboration will happen through students working together in small groups between the class and the park as they develop their sculptural ideas.
Students will make a difference by applying what they've learned/discovered into public art piece that engages park visitors.
Historic Artwork collection
VocabularySense of Place, Stewardship, Public, Art, Sculpture