General Public - mid-June to mid-September
Admission: Adults: $5; Students: $2.50
The 17 buildings overlooking the St. John River in the Acadian Village retain the cultural heritage of the Acadians who settled in the St. John Valley during the mid-eighteenth century.
The settlement reflects and incorporates those traits inherent to the Acadians. These skills include fishing, lumbering, and ship building. A number of these dwellings are significant in terms of their distinct Maine Acadian construction such as nautical features of “ship knees,” used for supports in construction, which can be seen in the Morneault house and the Acadian barn.
The buildings have been moved to the village or built on site. The site is owned and operated by Notre Héritage Vivant/Our Living Heritage. The Acadian Village is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Notre Dame de L’Assumption Chapel - Our Lady of Assumption Chapel
The David St Amand School - The Hamlin Schoolhouse
The Country Store
The Rossignol Barn – The Acadian Barn
The Morneault House and the Levasseur‑Ouellette House (built in Cyr Plantation, Maine, 1859) are typical of homes built during the mid‑nineteenth century by financially successful Maine Acadians. In form they are characteristic of the Georgian massing style popular on both sides of the North Atlantic by the early 19th century. The walls of both these one‑and‑a‑half‑story dwellings are built of square‑hewn logs (pièce‑sur‑pièce) covered by clapboard siding.
The Roy House
Did You Know?
In 1842 Lord Ashburton of Great Britain and Daniel Webster of the United States negotiated a treaty (known as the Webster-Ashburton Treaty) that established the St. John and St. Francis Rivers as the international boundary above Grand Falls.