Trolleys Out of Service until Saturday August 23
Due to repair work, the trolleys will not be running until Saturday, August 23. Daily boat tours will still be running, with a 1/4 mile walk from the visitor center. The 2:30 trolley tour will be offered as a walking tour. More info at 978-970-5000.
Lowell NHP Superintendents Compendium upate.
The Superintendents Compendium has been updated in regard to the use of unmanned aircraft in national park areas. More »
River Cycle: The Concord in Lowell
Contact: Chad Montrie, 978-934-4275
Contact: Phil Lupsieiwcz, 978-275-1705
LOWELL, MA — A lush garden cemetery. A dam built for the Middlesex Manufacturing Company. A gothic Catholic church. A lone smokestack. These are among the many relics of the past visible along the Concord River as it flows through Lowell. An attentive eye will also notice various natural features, like white water rapids, animal tracks, soaring hawks, and ferns & wild flowers. But the history and ecology of the waterway and its banks have been long neglected. Now Lowell’s “other river” has been rediscovered.
Did You Know?
There were female and male overseers in the mills of Lowell in the 19th century. In Rev. Henry Miles' book, Lowell As It Was, and As It Is, he mentions that the Boott Cotton Mills has recently opened a new weave room and it is being overseen by two women overseers. More...