Important Notice to Mariners
Lake Mead water elevations will be declining throughout the summer. Before launching, check lake levels, launch ramp conditions, changes to Aids to Navigation and weather conditions by clicking on More »
Summer Fire Rules in Effect
Lake Mead NRA is now enforcing summer fire restrictions. Please click 'more' to learn about the rules for fire during our hot, dry season. More »
Contact: Andrew S. Muñoz, 702-293-8691
Mar. 19, 2009
• LAKE MEAD -- Striped bass are still hitting on anchovies in the Las Vegas Wash area, with the most productive hours in the morning and late afternoon.
Few anglers are catching stripers off the shore and dock at Boulder Harbor.
In the Overton arm, stripers are still being caught between Echo Bay and Stewarts Point.
Trout anglers found success after the plant at Crawdad Cove.
• LAKE MOHAVE -- Fishing for trout was good last weekend at Willow Beach for fish up to 14 inches in length. Successful anglers used PowerBait and PowerWorms while fishing near the rocky point by the first parking area. AC plugs and other large lures were the ticket for striped bass between 17 and 25 pounds.
Anglers have been catching 2- to 6-pound stripers at Cottonwood Cove using anchovies, sardines and smelt. The preferred method has been trolling in the early to mid-mornings. Largemouth bass anglers have been catching fish with top-water and shallow-diving lures. No report on trout or catfish.
• URBAN PONDS -- Fishing continues to be sporadic. Anglers are using PowerBait, small lures and flies. The Nevada Department of Wildlife planted rainbow trout Tuesday.
• KIRCH WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREA -- The word is out that the ice is off and anglers have been taking advantage of a chance to fish the area reservoirs while the weather is still good. Fishing has been fair for shore anglers and good for boat anglers, with carryover trout averaging 14 inches.
Haymeadow and Cold Springs reservoirs were stocked within the past week.
• EAGLE VALLEY RESERVOIR -- This reservoir should be ice-free by this weekend with carry-over trout looking for food.
• ECHO CANYON RESERVOIR -- Few anglers have been sighted. Successful ones have been catching rainbow trout off the dam.
Visit this site at:
Did You Know?
Today you can walk or bicycle along the elevated railroad bed used to haul supplies and materials for the construction of Hoover Dam and enjoy the spectacular views of Lake Mead and the surrounding desert landscape. More...