$885,000 IN UPGRADES COMING TO LAKE MEAD PICNIC AREAS
Contact: Andrew S. Muñoz
LAS VEGAS – Beginning this month and over the next six months construction crews at Lake Mead National Recreation Area will upgrade visitor facilities throughout the park. Scheduled upgrades include improving picnic and restroom facilities and accessibility for disabled visitors at Blue Point Spring, Rogers Spring, Echo Bay, Boulder Beach, and Cottonwood Cove.
"We’ve made both a commitment to provide quality visitor facilities and move as fast as possible to make the park accessible to all visitors," said Superintendent Bill Dickinson.
While the projects are underway visitors may find some of their favorite areas temporarily closed. All projects are expected to be complete by July 2011.
SUMMARY OF CONSTRUCTION
Blue Point Spring (located between Echo Bay and Overton, Nev.)
- Construct a new accessibility compliant concrete walkway from the parking lot
- Install new picnic table and shelter
Rogers Spring (located between Echo Bay and Overton, Nev.)
- Replace existing picnic table and shelter with new picnic tables and picnic shelters for individual and group use.
- Replace existing restrooms with new accessibility compliant restrooms.
- Install new picnic tables and shelters near the existing restroom at the top of the main launch ramp.
- Replace existing day use/picnic facility includes a total of six picnic shelters, two restroom facilities and associated parking
- Rehabilitate the site to comply with accessible design requirements for parking, picnic tables, barbeque grills, drinking fountains, and restrooms
- Increase the number of picnic tables from six to seventeen
- Double the available day use/picnic shade facilities for beach users
- Install an disabled accessible walkway to the beach
Funding for this $885,000 project has been provided through the sale of federal lands in Southern Nevada authorized by the Southern Nevada Public Land Management Act.
Did You Know?
Hoover Dam was the first major dam to span the wild Colorado River. One hundred twelve workers died before it was finished in 1935.