Commercial Use Authorization
CUA APPLICATION PROCEDURES
A Commercial Use Authorization is the written authorization businesses need to provide certain incidental visitor services within Lake Mead National Recreation Area. As in any National Park Service area, commercial visitor services may be provided only by those holding an authorization from the United States. Larger visitor service operations are provided under concession contracts. Smaller, single-service businesses are issued Commercial Use Authorization, if certain requirements are met.
Request an application via e-mail
Forms will only be accepted via U.S. Mail. Forms that have been faxed or e-mailed will not be accepted for consideration.
A non-refundable, one time only, first application fee of $100 is required Please send a cashier's check or money order payable to National Park Service. We are not able to accept credit cards at this time. Applications are not processed without the application fee. Cost recovery fees (listed below) are not accepted until all required documentation has been received by the Commercial Use Authorization Office and notification of documentation receipt has been sent to the applicant.
All Commercial Use Authorizations are required to submit a current certificate of insurance showing Commercial General Liability insurance coverage, listing the U.S. Government; Lake Mead National Recreation Area; Attn: Commercial Use Authorization Office; 601 Nevada Way; Boulder City, NV 89005 as additionally insured. The insurance coverage required amounts are dependent on the service type and is listed on each CUA application.
Authorized Business Services
The following service types are currently authorized within Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Businesses interested in obtaining a permit for one of these types of services should fill out an application.
Approved Commercial Service Types
|Amount||Commercial Entrance Badges||Due|
|First time only, non-refundable Application Fee due with application submission||$100||NA||At time of application submission|
|12-month permit cost recovery fee||$880||$10 per badge||Not with application - due when all other required documents are received and notice is sent via email from CUA office to applicant|
|6-month CUA cost recovery fee||$440||$5 per badge||Not with application - due when all other required documents are received and notice is sent via email from CUA office to applicant|
- Activities must be appropriate to the mission of the National Park Service, particularly with regard to resource protection, visitor protection and interpretation.
- All commercial aspects of the business must take place outside of the recreation area, including all advertisement, soliciting business and negotiation or acceptance of any form of compensation.
- Only the actual visitor service being provided, such as fishing guide or SCUBA instruction, may occur within the recreation area.
- No temporary or permanent structures will be erected within the recreation area. No areas or structures will be exclusively assigned to the permittee.
- The services provided cannot conflict with or duplicate operations provided under any concession contract within Lake Mead National Recreation Area.
- While operating areas for a specific activity may be assigned, there is no limit placed on the number of permittees within the operating area.
- The permittee must maintain appropriate and adequate commercial liability insurance, applicable business and specialty licenses and adhere to park regulations for the specific visitor service provided.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if I conduct business without a CUA? Operating any type of commercial visitor service within Lake Mead National Recreation Area without written authorization from the United States is a violation of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations. It is a citable offense. If you are in doubt, please contact the Lake Mead National Recreation Area Concessions Management Office either by mail, telephone, or in person.
- Can I get entrance fees waived with my permit? No. Entrance fees into the park are not waived for commercial use authorizations.
- Why do I need liability insurance? It is important to remember that a permit is a legally binding document between the permitted applicant and the United States of America. Because of this, liability insurance is required with all commercial use authorization permits.
ContactFor more information about the Commercial Use Authorization program, please contact:
Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Commercial Use Authorization Office
601 Nevada Highway
Boulder City, Nevada