The National Park Service and Alaska Geographic Announce Lake Clark's "Share Your Story" Photo Contest
It has been said pictures are worth a thousand words. Here's your chance to tell the story of your favorite moment in Lake Clark through photography. Share your discoveries, adventures, challenges, or lessons learned.
Winners Will Receive:
There will be four winners:
- 3 People's Choice Awards
- 1 Staff Pick
- A 16 by 24 inch copy of each winning photograph will be printed on stretched canvas and displayed at the park visitor center June - September along with a small placard introducing the photographer and describing the image. After the visitor center closes for the winter, the canvas pieces will be shipped to the winners.
- Each winning photo will be featured as Lake Clark's Facebook cover photo for one month.
All other images entered in the contest:
The remaining entries will be loaded onto a digital picture frame and displayed on a rotating basis in the visitor center along with the canvas prints June - September.
How to Participate
There are two ways you can participate in this photo contest. First, submit your high resolution Lake Clark photo by February 5, 2015, and on February 6 the park will post all of the pictures to a photo album on Facebook
Second, the public will have one week to vote on their favorite pictures via Facebook. The three entries with the most likes will become our People's Choice winners. There will also be one Staff Pick winner. Everyone is invited to vote, regardless of if you enter a photo in the contest.
The Rules are Pretty Simple
- The contest is limited to photos taken in Lake Clark National Park and Preserve. Photograph subjects can be wildlife, scenic vistas, subsistence, recreation, science, historic places, or education.
- Maximum 5 entries per person.
- Include your name, the date and location the photo was taken, and a brief (30-50 words) story you would like to share about the photo.
- The image must be your own.
- In order to print clearly at 24 x 16 inches, digital JPEG or TIFF files should be 7200 x 4800 pixels with a resolution of 300 pixels/inch. Our email can only handle files up to 25 mb, so you may need to email your photos separately.
- All photographs that include people whose faces can be recognized must also submit a Likeness Release Form to be signed by each individual in the photograph. This does not grant the park perpetual use of the photo, but does all the National Park Service to display photos with with a person's likeness in this contest.
- Park visitors, local residents, partners, CUA employees, SCA interns, and volunteers are encouraged to submit. The contest is closed to Lake Clark employees.
- To enter, email your high resolution photos to lacl_visitor_information @nps.gov. Include "Share Your Story submission" in the email subject line (our email can only handle files up to 25 mb, so you may need to email your photos separately). Alternately, you may save the photos to a CD or zip drive and mail with the information requested above to:
Lake Clark National Park & Preserve
c/o Share Your Story photo contest
2181 Kachemak Drive
Homer, AK 99603
- All images must be received by Thursday, February 5, 2015 to be eligible.
- *OPTIONAL - Contestants are encouraged to donate their photographs to the National Park Service. To do so, complete and sign the Photo Donation and Likeness Release Form. If you do not submit this form, your photo will be used by the park in relation to this contest only. Note, once posted to the park's social media accounts, the park cannot control who will share these photos.
If you have questions, you can e-mail us
or call (907) 235-7903.