• Underground Tamarack Trammer Car

    Keweenaw

    National Historical Park Michigan

Park Headquarters Temporarily Relocates

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: February 23, 2007
Contact: Tom Baker, Management Assistant, (906) 337-1104, ext. 131

Keweenaw National Historical Park headquarters temporarily moves to the Merchant's & Miners Building in downtown Calumet during interior rehabilitation of the C&H Office Building.
Keweenaw National Historical Park headquarters temporarily moves to the Merchant's & Miners Building in downtown Calumet during interior rehabilitation of the C&H Office Building.
NPS Photo, Dan Johnson.

In preparation for the interior rehabilitation of the former C&H General Office Building, Keweenaw National Historical Park headquarters has been relocated to downtown Calumet. The temporary headquarters location is on the second floor of the Merchants & Miners Building (formerly River Valley State Bank) at 200 Fifth Street.

The park expects to have its management, administrative, interpretive, and preservation services staff located downtown for approximately one year. Park staff may still be reached at the park’s main published telephone number (906) 337-3168. Museum services staff will remain housed at the Keweenaw History Center (the former C&H Public Library) on Red Jacket Road, and may be reached by telephone at (906) 337-1207.

In conjunction with Main Street Calumet’s Dedication and Open House at the Merchants & Miners Building on Thursday, March 1 from 5-7 pm, the park welcomes the public to tour their second floor offices. Park staff will be on hand to greet visitors and answer questions. Please stop by and say hello.

The Park Service’s occupancy of the offices is yet another positive sign of the revitalization of downtown Calumet. The building has recently received accessibility upgrades through a Community Development Block Grant that included installation of an elevator for access to the second floor and an accessible restroom on the second floor. The offices’ electrical and telecommunications systems have also been upgraded to meet current technology standards.

When the Park Service moves back into its headquarters building on Red Jacket Road, the Merchants & Miners Building offices will be available for lease to professional businesses and services, just as the first floor is currently available – and filling quickly.

For further information regarding park headquarters, please contact the park’s Management Assistant, Tom Baker at (906) 337-1104 ext. 131 or by email.

Did You Know?