• Underground Tamarack Trammer Car


    National Historical Park Michigan

Park Advisory Commission Meeting - July 2008

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: July 21, 2008
Contact: Tom Baker, Management Assistant, (906) 337-1104, ext. 131

The Keweenaw National Historical Park Advisory Commission will convene for its regular quarterly meeting on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 9:00 A.M. in the second floor conference room at park headquarters located on the corner of Red Jacket Road and US Highway 41. In addition to being the first Commission meeting to be held in the newly rehabilitated headquarters, items of particular interest on the agenda include the introduction of the Commission's Fund Development Director and the National Park Service grants program. The Commission, paneled by citizens appointed by the Secretary of the Interior, represents the general public and works collaboratively with the National Park Service to advise and assist with managing the resources of Keweenaw National Historical Park. The Commission's quarterly meetings are open to the public.

For further information or directions, please contact the park at 337-3168.

Did You Know?

Once the scene of buslting industry, the Quincy shaft-rock house at the number 2 shaft and accompanying hoist house sit silent today.

Despite ups and downs in copper production and prices, the Quincy Mining Company on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula was able to pay its investors dividends nearly every year from 1862 to 1920, earning it the nickname "Old Reliable." The company closed in 1945, but continued to operate the smelter until 1971.